CHANGE OF INFORMATION — Address and Personal Information

To Change Your Address Online

If you're a young man, age 18 through 25, the law requires you to notify the Selective Service System of an address change within 10 days, up until January 1st of the year you turn 26 years old.  Men are no longer required to notify Selective Service of address changes once they are 26 years old or older.

NOTE:  When reporting an address change, you may request a new registration acknowledgment card, which will be in the form of a letter, with your new address. Due to the volume of requests, it takes about 30 days to receive a new registration acknowledgment letter.

Row of U.S. Mail Boxes

Submit Address Change

If you're a man, born after 1959, and are currently registered with Selective Service and are living INSIDE the United States or its territories, or if you have an APO/FPO address, you may change your address information by filling out the form here and clicking on "Submit Address Change."

Signs pointing to different destinationsSubmit Foreign Address Change

If you're a man, born after 1959, and are currently registered with Selective Service and are living OUTSIDE the United States, you may change your address information here and clicking on "Submit Foreign Address Change."


NOTE:  This is a secure site. The information you provide on this form is protected as it travels to Selective Service over the internet.

Other Ways to Change Your Address
  • Complete and mail back the Selective Service Change of Information Form, which is the tear-off "Change of Information" form every man receives in the mail with his registration acknowledgment card, shortly after he registers.

  • Obtain, complete, and mail back a Selective Service Change of Address Form 2, SSS Form 2, available at any U.S. Post Office.

  • Call toll-free at 1-888-655-1825 between 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time, and remain on the line to speak with a representative.


The purpose of maintaining a registration list is to enable Selective Service to reach draft-age men in an emergency. When a man registers, Selective Service obtains a current mailing address and informs each registrant that he is required by law to report any changes in his address to Selective Service until he reaches age 26. Although a significant number of address changes are reported, registrants are a highly mobile segment of the population. To actively ensure that registrants in the prime draft age group—19 and 20 years old—can be reached by mail in time of mobilization, the National Change of Address System was developed.

The program itself is very simple. The records of registrants in the prime age group which have had no updates in the past 18 months, including those with undeliverable addresses, are sent to a vendor licensed by the U.S. Postal Service. Selective Service's records are matched against a database containing all change of address notices filed by the public in the last 36 months at post offices in the United States. This procedure is performed once a year for registrants about to turn 20 years old.

If a match is found and the date of the address change is more recent than the date of the registrant's last record update, changes will be made to the registrant's current record.

The National Change of Address System confirms the accuracy of nearly two million registrants' records every year. By using this approach for address maintenance, Selective Service ensures that the files are accurate to reach draft-eligible registrants in the event of a national emergency.

Change of Information

To Update or Correct Your Personal Information

After you register, you are required to notify Selective Service within ten days of any changes to any of the information you provided on your registration card. For a change of address, scroll down below.

Use a Change of Information Form to —

  • If your name is misspelled, indicate what the correct name should be. Sign and date a change of information form, which is the top portion of your registration acknowledgment letter, and return it to Selective Service.

  • If you have legally changed your name, indicate the new name, provide a copy of the court order for your legal name change as supporting documentation, sign and date the form, and return it to Selective Service.

  • If the month or day in your date of birth is listed incorrectly, indicate the correct date of birth, sign and date the form and return it to Selective Service. If the year of birth is incorrect, indicate the correct year of birth on the form, provide a copy of any official documentation with the correct year of birth, sign and date, and return it to Selective Service.

  • If you need to correct or provide your social security number, please call Selective Service at 1-847-688-6888, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., EST (Eastern Standard Time).

NOTE: Corrections will take four to six weeks to process, after which you will be mailed a new acknowledgment card.

For further assistance, call Selective Service, 1-847-688-6888.

Selective Service System
P.O. Box 94638
Palatine, IL 60094-4638

Warning About Submitting False Information

Intentional submission of false information using this Federal Government Internet Web site, including purposefully submitting a false request,  or under false pretenses,  for an address change is illegal. Persons found guilty of knowingly submitting fraudulent information may be prosecuted and, upon conviction, may be subject to a fine of not more than $250,000 and/or imprisonment not to exceed five years.

Online Registration FAQs